click click click

Friday, July 27, 2012

about him


This is the 10th Ramadhan without him.

I was 5 when I was all so clingy and wanted bike ride in the evening. Stopped at some stall for roti canai and teh ais.

I was 6 when I followed him to the paddy field and got lost. I was very panic since I could not find him anywhere. I nearly cried but I knew I did not. I panic but I tried my best to find my way back.

I came home running, smiling. I proudly told him that my tok guru (quran teacher) said I could start reciting quran for the next class. For us kids back then, it was such an achievement if you could pass the muqaddam test and proceed to read Al-quran. The next day, he came home with a red Al-quran and ordered rehal (beautifully carved woods to place the quran while reading). I marched to the class pompously- all confident to start my quran lesson. I was 7.

I define that as the most precious gift that I ever received.

I was in boarding school when my warden called me into her office and broke the news. One of the two important men in my life had gone. The kind of “gone” that I couldn’t just search facebook or google to find his whereabout or just for a few hours to the paddy field and came back home tired. Then, who would buy me my favourite roti canai and teh ais or wake me up for subuh (fajr) prayer. I was not very shock since deep down my heart I knew he would not stay longer but I never expected that sooner. So I thanked my warden and asked permission to go back to class. I looked out the window and tears were strolling my cheeks. The grass outside never been that greener. I felt something had been snatched away. I felt lost. What would I do to cope with the fact that from that day onwards, there would be no him during semester breaks. So I cried. I cried silently in my sleep, in my prayers for the next few weeks.

The last few years, I searched for a torchlight for whatever reasons. That was 5 years after he’d gone. Then. I saw his baju melayu hang on the railings, and I cried right there and then. I guess that’s the effect when you dearly love someone and you miss them terribly. I think people cry because they miss people they love who love them even more.

I think I cry because I miss him so much sometimes. The accumulated portion of miss. And knowing that was one of the best blessing in my life, I should be more grateful. Not everyone has the opportunity to live with their grandfather like I did. Not just live together, the memories created and shared, the lessons. So yeap, Alhamdulillah.

Al fatihah to my dearest wan- Darus Bin Abu.