click click click

Saturday, February 5, 2011

yellow and red


Just a mere email from my best friend has already burnt my day even though the clock on the wall only ticking to 915 in the morning. He is a shy guy, mayhap the meekest boy alive you’ll ever meet on this planet.

It all started by a friendly hello I uttered to him, few years back. We were only 8 or 9, where I was still in my hideous floral mini skirt while he wore his childhood’s favorite V-collar striped shirt and shorts. He bashfully responded to my greeting and smiled. He has the sweetest smile ever, I assure you that. it happened to be that we were neighbors. And you know, neighbors don’t fall in love with each other. At least, not in real life unless we are watching J.Lo’s movies or something.

He is the first to know every time I fall in love or fall out of love. He would be sitting on the bench at the front yard of my house, listened to every whit of what I had to say. He listens so well, and if some college were to offer a course in listening, he certainly would be the one with the highest grade. But you know in real life, there’s no such thing. His passion in drawing leads him to enroll architecture for undergraduate studies. We went to different college, different major. Hence, I owe thousands of gratitude towards Alexander Graham Bell for his useful invention; the telephone. Every time I have problem that seems to be endless, he will be at the end of the line to listen, just listen.

Despite the growing distance, we talk a lot through the telephone. I told him how about a guy whom I recently dated brought me to see a romantic movie which I slept through it for the most part. I blabbed about how I flunk my tests or how weird I thought myself could be sometimes. Sometimes, I even told him to google my favorite actor just to let him know my current celebrity crush. And, we would play this one game; tell-me-what-is-my-face-expression sort of thing. He’s good in guessing whether I smile or frown and even if I wiggled my eyebrows. He is no wizard. I’m sure he never been to Hogwarts but well, he just know me too well. That’s what I thought until this morning; before I checked my mailbox.

Today is like another week-days for final semester college student like me, like most of us. If you see my timetable, most of the hours are filled with no class but Monday and Thursday are exceptional. I have more than 2 classes on that day, with labs too. The first thing I did when I am awake is checking my brand-new phone. There were several messages from my friends; some asked me to cover up if there was quiz in our sociology class. I replied a few as I pushed aside the tender terra cotta comforter aside and lazily got up from bed. It took a moment to decide what to do and I went off straight to have a cold shower. Yeah, I just weird like that, cold shower on a cold morning.

As soon as I entered my room, the smell of hot coffee caught my nostril. And there it was,  waiting for me on my study table. I bet my roommate made it for me while I was in the shower right before she left for her class. I checked my mailbox and his email caught me by surprise. He never sent me emails before except for interesting articles. I clicked open that no-subject email, then read his words carefully. My heart started aching at once. He wrote about a girl that he met recently, a sophomore to be precise. They went out for a few times now and he mentioned that he thinks he loves her.

My brain paused for a moment. I couldn’t think straight and confused. I clicked reply but the page remained blank. Half-consciously, I googled for Avril Lavign’s Girlfriend lyrics, copied-pasted to the blank page, bold a few lines that would make him easily understand the message I wanted to convey through that lyrics and directly I click that “send” button. I grin while looking outside to the open wide blue sky.

Just a mere reply to my bestfriend’s email has made my day even though the clock on the wall only ticking to 1115 in the morning. I’m a fun girl, mayhap the spunkiest girl alive you’ll ever meet on this planet.